Why do you need to know how to write a good thesis statement?
Writing a good thesis is a skill that you need to develop to ensure that your writing and problem solving skills improve during your academic career. A thesis statement is not just something that you need for your dissertation it is also used in almost every essay that you are likely to write. Your thesis statement is usually a single sentence (maximum two) that will tell the reader exactly what your paper is about. The reader should be able to know the precise focus of your writing just from reading the thesis statement. So knowing how to make a good thesis statement is vital to your essay and paper writing no matter what subject you are studying and at what level. It will be a good idea to appeal for capstone writing service, for instance, to make sure that you are on the right way.
How to write a good thesis statement for your paper
Although only one or two sentences in length there is a huge amount of thought that needs to go into a thesis statement and many students struggle with developing a statement that reflects what they will write about. The following sections within this article will help you to develop your skills in writing a clear and concise thesis.
Getting the right topic for your thesis
Before you even start to write your thesis you need to decide what you are actually going to research; unless of course that decision has already been taken for you by your tutor. Generally you need to ensure that you select an area that you have an interest within and one that you will have the time and the resources to actually be able to research. To narrow down your topic areas you need to:
- Choose the specific area that you wish to study; for instance European history
- Then narrow down your topic to a specific area that you want to study; 17th century British political history around the civil war period
- Read everything that you can around this subject to decide on a specific area that you may wish to study
- Ensure that whatever you choose you have the resources to study
Write your thesis statement
Once you have decided in which area you wish to conduct your studies it is time to come up with your actual thesis statement. It might appear not that easy as you think of it. A thesis statement needs to be:
- An assertion; This happens because of XYZ
- Announces your position with regards to the subject
- Clearly states what you are going to discuss and research
- Could be debatable, there is no point researching something that is obvious; there should be a counter argument to your assertion
So a good thesis statement could be “There was less political freedom for the ruling classes under the rule of Oliver Cromwell than there was under the reign of King Charles the first.” Your paper would then set out to provide evidence to support your thesis.
Perfectly writing your thesis statement
The tips above will ensure that you are able to learn how to write a hypothesis for your paper or essay that will fully reflect the subject of your writing. Just remember that your thesis need not be set in stone. Many will find that they wish to adjust their thesis statement as their research grows and they discover more about their subject area.
Image credits: gstatic.com, carleton.ca, edweb.net.