While many students worry about writing a college research paper, it should be noted that it is an easy task provided you give it some time. You cannot graduate from college without learning how to write a research paper. In the university, students are required to write a college research paper for most subjects in order to see whether they are able to connect ideas and information in the course and subjects they are taking. What is a college research paper and why is it important? A college research paper is an in-depth report on topics covered in class that requires more research on the part of the student.
Guidelines on How to Write a College Research Paper
- Learning how to write a research paper entails knowledge of its contents. Normally, a college research paper is composed of a title page, abstract, introduction, discussion, conclusion, and a reference page. Some research requires the use of endnotes, footnotes, and appendices. The use depends on the style of referencing you are required to use.
- Before the actual writing phase in writing a college research paper, there are other steps which you must go through such as reading several sources relating to a topic of your choice. You must also choose a topic for your research paper which can be subject of research by other scholars also. It must be noted that your topic must be interesting, manageable, and appropriate for the subject requiring such research paper.
- Formulate a thesis statement which you would prove throughout the research and interpret the results at the discussion part of the paper.
- After identifying a particular topic, you must do real research on it. Research does not mean merely looking for resources on the internet but having primary sources as well if needed.
- You should make notes from the references you’ve got to facilitate an orderly research and outlining. Drafting an outline helps you in writing a logical paper. From this outline, you can write the first draft of your college research paper.
- Learning how to write a research paper does not stop after the first draft. You must be able to proofread and revise your paper in observance of the rules of grammar and spelling aside from the required citation style you should use.
- Lastly, do not forget to cite your sources properly to avoid plagiarism!